Diploma in Sporting Excellence
Diploma in Sporting Excellence (DiSE)Aim
A Level 3 Programme designed and delivered by British Showjumping and Haddon Training Ltd. The programme aims to give young people the opportunity to work towards nationally recognised qualifications as well as gain invaluable coaching, mentoring and work experience in a relevant and inspiring environment. The learner will benefit from a comprehensive training and support programme delivered by Showjumping’s top coaches and experts.
Learners will attend high-performing camps covering practical and theoretical teaching, where they will develop the skills and knowledge required to be an elite athlete. Over the 2 years you will achieve a variety of nationally recognised qualifications, as well as valuable work experience where you can apply your knowledge and skills.
The camp programmes will focus, highlight and give depth to topics such as:
- Rider fitness, physiotherapy and awareness to injury
- Athlete nutrition
- Sports psychology and mental wellbeing
- Career and financial planning as an athlete
- Lifestyle management
- Awareness of health & safety
- Media and communications training
- The Welfare of Horses whilst being transported (legal requirement for those who do this as an economic activity)
- Generic coaching and training at level 1 & 2
- Level 3 Principles in Horse Care and Management
- A recognised first aid qualification
- Employability skills
- Self-development through individualised online learning
- Students cannot be in paid employment or in paid work whilst on programme (please check with the team if you’re unsure of your working status)
- Students must been an EEA resident for a minimum of 3 years
- Students who are accepted with pony performance must bring a horse to the camps
- Unpaid work experience may be a requirement whilst on the programme
- Maths and English GCSEs will be considered when applications are submitted, but are not a pre-requisite to being on the programme
- Together, with the application form and the specification from British Showjumping will form part of the eligibility criteria. Not only is historic competition performance a critical part of the selection process, but to achieve a place, previous education details and exam results will also be taken into consideration
These results must have been achieved since 1st Jan 2017.
- 4 years; 90cm/ 1.00m - 4 double clears – minimum 1 double clear must be at 1.00m table A7.
- 5 years; 1.00m / 1.10m 4 double clears – minimum 1 double clear must be at 1.10m table A7.
- 6 years; 1.10m / 1.20m 4 double clears – minimum 1 double clear must be at 1.20m table A7.
- 7 years; 1.20m / 1.30m 2 double clears – if no double clear at 1.30m must have 4 double clears at 1.20m table A7.
- 8 years and above; 1.30m 4 double clears
Please be aware combinations achieving double clears at the biggest height per age category will be given priority selection.
Programme Manager - Justine Naylor
Programme Leader - Corinne Bracken
Programme Tutors - Matt Lani, Targa Hammond and Nicola McLeish
To apply you can download the application form by clicking here or call the Haddon team on 01672 519977 where an application form can be emailed to you.
Please send completed application forms to British Showjumping team:
Post: Sport Team British Showjumping, Meriden Business Park, Copse Drive, Meriden, West Midlands, CV5 9RG
Closing date for application Sunday 19th August 2018.
Successful applicants will be contacted via email on Tuesday 28th August 2018. First camps will take place at the end of September 2018 – further details will be supplied.